Job Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Programme: Turkana Integrated Primary Health, Nutrition, MCH and Watsan programme
Accountable to: Project Health Coordinator, with technical support from the M&E Coordinator at National level.
Staff directly supervised: HIS Officer; Data Entry/Management Staff
Relationship Internally: PC, PHC, APHC, Project Officers/Managers, Health & Nutrition Officers, Nurses, Logistics Officer, Finance and Admin Officers, Country Health Coordinator.
Relationship externally: To network and liaise on M&E matters with CSO partners, MOH, and other NGOs in the area.
Location: Lodwar based but with frequent travel to field sites in Greater Turkana District and to Nairobi as required
Overall objective of the position:
The overall objective of the position is to strengthen monitoring and evaluation, lessons learning process as well as beneficiary accountability mechanism of Merlin programmes in Turkana.
Under the management of the Project Health Coordinator and in close consultation and coordination with other management and programme staff, as well as the M&E Coordinator at Merlin Country office, the M&E Officer will establish and implement a comprehensive monitoring and evaluation system to measure programme progress and impact and establish effective lesson learning and accountability mechanisms for the Merlin Turkana programme.
- Support and facilitate the planning, coordination and monitoring of impact assessments including baseline surveys for new and ongoing Merlin Turkana programmes against the established goals, targets, and indicators as stated in the project proposals and log-frames.
- Provide feedback to the Programme Management team on findings of the all assessments and surveys with recommendations on improving quality of programming particularly focusing on M&E.
- In consultation with the PC, PHC and programme teams, and the Country Office M&E Coordinator, develop M&E framework, systems, tools as well as work plans for all Merlin Turkana programmes.
- Support programme teams and coordinate implementation of the developed monitoring and evaluation framework, systems and tools including documentation of targets and performance monitoring for all project activities.
- In coordination and consultation with PC, PHC, and programme teams, to undertake regular field visits to all programme areas to monitor progress of implementation of monitoring and the evaluation framework and plans.
- Assist the PC and PHC in the design and preparation of project proposals and log-frames for new projects including facilitating initial assessments, baseline data collection, and establishing targets and indicators.
- Coordinate periodic (monthly, quarterly) data collection, analysis and review of all Merlin Turkana programmes in harmonized and standardized manner compiling information from the field sites and report to management.
- Liaise and network with other stakeholders including partners, MOH, national and international NGOs and field based UN offices on M&E matters and represent Merlin Turkana at external M&E forums as required.
- Identify training and capacity building needs of programme teams and facilitate necessary M&E training.
- Establish and implement lessons learning mechanisms including documenting and disseminating best practices and lessons learnt.
- In consultation with the PC, PHC, programme teams, and other support function departments establish, initiate and ensure implementation of beneficiary accountability systems in field programme areas in Turkana including establishing complaints mechanisms.
- Undertake programme grants monitoring by putting in place and maintaining up-to-date grants information systems including grant reporting plans and schedules.
- Assist the programme team in ensuring the timely preparation and submission of quality reports including donor reports.
- Writing of final donor reports is primarily the responsibility of the programme team including the PHC, the Nutrition Coordinator, Project Officers and finally the PC).
- Undertake any other assignment as required by the Supervisor.
- A Degree in Public Health, Applied Epidemiology, Health Information Systems (Medical statistics) or equivalent
- Fluent English speaker and writer.
- Management capacity: ability to organize and plan
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies.
- Knowledge of database design and use
- Knowledge of data processing and analysis
- Knowledge of MS Excel/ Access, Epi info or similar data analysis programmes
- Knowledge of sampling and questionnaire design
- Knowledge of anthropometric assessment techniques as well as nutritional survey
- Ability to work in a team
- Training experience/capacity to run M&E trainings as well as HIS
- Professional initiative, commitment and motivation
- Previous work experience with INGOs in M and E positions
- Experience in emergency and development programming
Applications should be sent to the address below on or before 27.04.2011
Merlin Kenya / Somalia Programme.
P.O. Box 3350 – 00200,
Or via e- mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org