Wednesday, 5 October 2011
Judicial Service Commission (JSC) job Vacancies - Kenya Court of Appeal Judges
Republic of Kenya
Judicial Service Commission
Vacancy in the Office of Judge of the Court of Appeal
The Judicial Service Commission of Kenya invites applications from qualified persons for the following position in the Judiciary:-
Judge of the Court of Appeal
Ref: V/No. 8/2011
Terms of Service: Constitutional Office
Period of service: Retirement at the age of 70 years with an election to retire on attaining the age of 65 years
A Judge of the Court of Appeal shall serve in the Court of Appeal of Kenya and shall exercise the following functions:-
(a) Hear and determine Appeals from the High Court, and
(b) Hear and determine Appeals from other Courts or Tribunals as prescribed by an Act of Parliament.
Constitutional and Statutory Requirements for Appointment:
For appointment to the position of Judge of Appeal, the applicants must be in possession of the following minimum qualifications:
(a) Hold a law degree from a recognized university, or
(i) Be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya; or
(ii)Possess an equivalent qualification in a common-law jurisdiction;
(b) Have at least ten years’ experience as a Superior Court Judge; or
(ii) At least ten years’ experience as a distinguished academic or legal practitioner or such experience in other relevant legal field; or
(iii) Held the qualifications mentioned in paragraph (i) and (ii) for a period amounting, in the aggregate to ten years.
(c) Have a high moral character, integrity and impartiality.
(In addition to the above qualifications, the applicants must demonstrate a high degree of professional competence, communication skills, fairness, good temperament, making of good judgments in both legal and life experiences and commitment to public and community service.)
The appointment shall be made in accordance with Article 166 (1)(b) (2) and (4) of the Constitution of Kenya.
Interested and qualified persons are requested to make their applications by forwarding 12 Copies ( as well as a soft copy):- of the following
(1) A letter of application
(2) A detailed and updated curriculum vitae summarizing the applicant’s bio-data including, background information, (such as community service, financial discipline, pro bono activity, involvement as a party in litigation and involvement in political activity including any financial contribution to any political party/parties and criminal record) legal/professional engagement for the last five (5) years, three (3) professional referees and two (2) character references who can verify and comment on the applicant’s past and present employment.
(3) Completed Application for Employment Forms in triplicate - JSC 2A (for public officers) or JSC 2 (for other applicants)
(4) The applicant’s 12 recent colored passport size photographs.
(5) Five (5) samples of any writings by the applicant, including but not limited to judgments, advocacy submissions in courts, scholarly writings or any legal publications that the applicant has authored.
(6) Declaration of income and liabilities as at the time of making the application, using the prescribed forms (The Declaration of Income, Assets and Liabilities Form JSC 2b). For those who are in Government employment, attach copies of returns of declaration of income and liabilities and for those in private practice attach income tax returns, for the last three (3) years.
(7) Certified copies of testimonials, professional certificates and academic transcripts.
Judicial Service Commission
P.O. Box 30041 – 00100 Nairobi
So as to reach the Commission within a period of twenty one (21) days from the date of this advertisement.
The JSC 2A and JSC 2 Forms and the Declaration of Income and Assets Forms are available free of charge at the Commission’s Secretary/Chief Registrar’s Chambers, Room No. 10 at the old High Court Building
Nairobi,( now Supreme Court) during office hours.
The Forms can also be downloaded from the Judiciary’s Website - www.judiciary.go.ke
Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.
The Judicial Service Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and selects candidates on merit, through fair and open competition, from the widest range of eligible candidates.
G. Boss Shollei,
Judicial Service Commission.
Labels: Law and Judicial Jobs