The Girl Child Network (GCN) is a National Network of Organizations working to improve programming in the children sector through advocating and promoting the rights of the girl child.
In partnership with ActionAid International Kenya, and funded by The Big Lottery Fund, GCN is implementing the community level and advocacy components of the Stop Violence Against Girls in School (SVAGS) Project in Wenje Division of Tana River District (Kenya).
GCN is therefore seeking to recruit a Project Officer who will provide critical coordination and support for the project until its conclusion at the end of June 2013. The project officerwill report to the Deputy Director, GCN. S/he will be responsible for leading the team of staff in implementation of the project.
The position is based in Nairobi with frequent visits to the field
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Coordinating the implementation of the SVAGS project including allocation of resources and ensuring that appropriate controls are maintained at all levels
- Developing short and medium term plans for implementation
- Evaluating and monitoring the project to determine the extent to which they are meeting set goals and objectives; determining the action needed to improve achievements and deliverables
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with community based organizations, partners and stakeholders including GOK line ministries
- Ensuring the stipulated financial management guidelines for the project and the organization are adhered to
- Creating an environment in which human resources flourish through active participation
- Developing and implementing advocacy strategies for the project
- Lobbying and networking with relevant stakeholders to maximize achievements
- Working in liaison with the Field officer in the identification, planning and delivery of activities at the community level
- Leading on capacity building initiatives and training of all target groups in the project
- Coordinating all activities to empower girls, women, boys and men targeted in the project
- Representing GCN in the projects country team activities and meetings as per the organization policy
- Timely preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual narrative and financial reports in liaison with the project accountant and ensure partnership agreement compliance
Qualifications, Skills and Experience Requirements:
- A first degree in a relevant field with a minimum of 3 year’s experience in a management position within a Non Governmental Organization, international Non- Governmental Organization or Donor organization
- Experience in advocacy, partnership building and networking
- Strong facilitation, training participatory methods, leadership, organizational and management skills
- A thorough understanding of log frame analysis, project management experience and ability to design and implement programmes and projects
- Capacity to undertake monitoring and evaluation
- Excellent people management skills with a demonstrated ability to manage and motivate teams
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with experience in working with children is key
- Commitment to human/children’s rights and an understanding of rights-based approaches and the
- Ability to effectively manage time, and spend sufficient time working in the field
If you possess the necessary qualifications and experience, send your application and detailed CV to the email: firstname.lastname@example.org
or P. O. Box 2447 -00200, Nairobi.
Application for the position closes on Friday 11th November 2011 at 3.00 p.m.
NB: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.